David Letterman announced his pending retirement this past week. Here is a photo I found online of what he looked like as a Freshman at Broad Ripple High School in Indianapolis, Indiana - in 1962 - the year that the Sputnik IV space debris crash-landed in Manitowoc.
And in honor of David Letterman, here are the -
Top Ten Reasons to Attend Sputnikfest 2014
9. Get up close and personal with Elvis AND Star Wars characters at the same venue.
8. Lots of free entertainment on the main stage - watch the Alien Pet Contest and the Miss Space Debris Pageant.
6. See the historically accurate (sort of ... a little bit ... okay, not-so-much) re-enactment of the launch and re-entry of Sputnik IV.
5. See people (and statues) in aluminum foil hats - and Aliens.
4. Sample an out-of-this-world assortment of edible delights.
3. Shop hand-crafted artwork from local artisans or a unique assortment of Sputnikfest merchandise, including limited edition posters by Tina Kugler.
1. Have your picture taken near the brass ring that marks the Sputnik IV impact site - without having to dodge traffic.
See you on September 6. Planet Terry.